Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Artist

I'd like to write about an artist that i've been listening to a lot lately. 

Bruce Hornsby- Simply put, an incredibly talented person. 

As a kid i remember hearing "The Way it is" sitting in the backseat of my parents car, those great eighties drum loops and that silky smooth synth-bass tone. Up until recently, i pretty much thought that "The Way it is" was the extent of Bruce's work. I didnt even know if he still was around playing music. So, a friend of mine who is really into Bruce's music showed me a few of his songs and I was instantly hooked. I got a copy of his 5 disc "Intersections 1985-2005" to do some further research, and was completely blown away with what i found. Most of the tracks on this album are recent, and live performances of Bruce's music. No 80's synth tones or loops to be heard. There are so many great qualities to the this collection of 53 tunes spanning Bruce's entire career. There's so much to say about his qualities as a musician. An incredible list of songs he's written, the ability to play piano in so many different settings, technical ability on piano as well as accordion, and a unique soulful voice on top of all that. He really is the complete package. I'd like to highlight some of my favorite Hornsby songs. 

1. "Mandolin Rain"-Without any question this is my current favorite song. Particularly the live version off of the "Intersections" CD. Although i do really enjoy the 80's version which is more widely known. To me, this song is a perfect combination of beautiful melodies and meaningful lyrics. Bruce's voice is the highlight of the song, his soulful singing sounds so genuine that it takes the song to another level. Its been a song that i cannot get out of my head for around 2 months straight. 

2. "Look out Any Window"- The version that I have is the old 80's version from "Scenes from the Southside". One thing i really love about this song is that it has a HUGE sound. The big pulsing drums, the vocal harmonies, the synth chords sustaining in the background, all of it. This song just sounds like an excellent live recording. It also has an excellent piano solo by Bruce. I also believe that the lyrics to this song remain relevant today, especially with the state of the world/economy etc. 

3. "Walk In the Sun"- This song has an excellent 1990's sounding drum loop. Features some great background vocals and more excellent piano playing from Bruce. 

There's many more songs that i could write about, but I think these three are a good representation of Bruce's music. I think everyone has heard "The Way it is", which is another fantastic song. Listening to this music has helped me develop my ear and also helped me to recognize great lyrics. 

Bruce Hornsby's music is a great example of not over-performing, which I think is a common problem in today's music. A man with endless chops, both with piano and voice, that plays to what the song needs and not to what HE needs. A great lesson for any musician. 



As a kid, Bruce was just the soundtrack to going to Stop & Shop with my parents to get the groceries. And i think he might be that for many people. But, he is still around and writing great songs. 


Thanks for reading,

-MD



No comments:

Post a Comment