Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Schedule for Next Fall Pt. 2

So i've finally got my schedule all set for next semester.

Monday

9-10:50 am= George Benson Lab. Studying the music and playing of George Benson. Its going to be great to get to learn some of Benson's music, i'm a big fan of his playing. 

11-1=Songwriting 1. I'm going to be studying songwriting, as well as preparing my own stuff for the class to see. This is going to be great for me, because i'll be able to get immediate feedback on my material from my peers. There are going to be kids in my class that have far more experience songwriting than i do, so its going to be good.

Tuesday

9-11= Tonal Harmony. We study classical music. Its going to be challenging but probably really helpful for me.

Wednesday

9-9:50= Harmony 3. I really enjoyed Harmony 2 so hopefully this gets better. Hopefully we'll have more chances to apply the stuff we're learning. In the form of composition or transcription. 

11-11:50=Guitarmony .This is a class that i'm really looking forward to. I've heard that a lot of it is about exploring different interesting chord voicings, and learning how to use them while comping. I feel like this is something that is really missing from my playing, so i'm excited to study it. 

2-3:50= Contemporary Jazz Lab with Tim Miller. One of the best players i've seen, so i'm really excited to have a class with him. I want to learn more about Miller's approach to improvisation as well as maybe some practice methods he uses. Its going to be a great class. 

4-5:50- Counterpoint. I dont know much about counterpoint, its another one of our required traditional studies classes. Its going to be pretty challenging i'm guessing. I've also heard that my teacher that i picked has a thick russian accent which should be interesting.

Thursday

3-3:30- Private Lesson W/ Mark White. Mark White is known as a really versatile player, who has endless chops. Also i've heard that he's great for people who want to improve their sight reading. It says on the website that he focuses on "improvisation in a contemporary jazz setting" which is kind of what i'm going for. 

6-7:50PM-Lyric Writing 1=This is a subject i've never studied, and i'll probably be with a lot of kids who take this very very seriously. So this is going to be a great class for me. 

Friday

9-9:50am-Harmony 3

11:00-1- Pat Metheny Ensemble. This is going to be my most fun class. Get to play metheny's music. Its going to be great for my reading, as well as soloing in a more jazzy setting. 



But i still have to go through summer before i get to those classes. On May 12-21 i'll be in Ireland. Its going to be such an awesome trip, after that i hope i can get a job and make some cash so i can try to buy a new guitar. 

an Eastman T185 MX.

-MD

No comments:

Post a Comment