Friday, April 10, 2009

Picking Classes for Next Semester

I've picked a few classes for next semester that i'm really excited about.

1. Private Lesson with Thaddeus Hogarth. I've learned a lot from Thaddeus, he's a great teacher and really tells it like it is. I think we have similar taste in gear and music, so he's a great match for me. He's taught me a lot about guitar techniques, and so much valuable info about living as a musician.  Check him out on youtube, he's got his own account. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/thaddeushogarth

2. George Benson Lab with Richie Hart. To be honest i dont know much about the teacher, but what could be better than studying George Benson?

3. Contemporary Jazz Lab with Tim Miller- I'm very lucky to have got a spot in this class. Miller seems to be one of the most popular teachers for guitar at the school. He is a total beast, one of the best guitar players i've ever met. Having him for two hours a week is going to really improve my playing. 

4. Pat Metheny Ensemble with Tony Gaboury- I'm hoping that this ensemble will totally kick my ass and make me practice more. I'm going to look like an idiot going in there with my SRV strat haha. I've been really getting into Metheny's music since being here so its going to be great to get to play it. I hope that its going to improve my soloing and rhythm playing in a "jazzier" setting. 

5. Harmony 3 with Mitch Haupers- Mitch is one of the best teachers i've had at the school. He's a musical genius. He's made a subject that i'm sure a lot of people dont like become my favorite. His lectures are soooo good. He presents these topics in a real way, in a musical way and shows you how to apply them, rather than just babbling on and on. 



I'm also really hoping that i can get into the Jam Band ensemble. basically we play Phish and Grateful Dead songs in a small band. I fall just short of the rating requirement, but i'm really really hoping i can get in. Phish is the reason i started playing guitar, learning Trey Anastasio's licks and compositions is the thing that motivated me to pick up the guitar and give the bass a break. I think i've got a freakish obsession with Phish. but, its better than being obsessed with crack i suppose. Hoping to see them May 31st at Fenway Pahhhhk.



-MD

No comments:

Post a Comment